Thursday, February 16, 2006

12. Randomness, Predestination, and God

All physical forces can be explained and predicted using particle physics. Any chemical reactions, genetic conjugations, and simple human decisions are possible to predict with perfect precision by a powerful computer with a working knowledge of every physical force in the universe. There is no such thing as "random"... all of our decisions are governed by electrical pulses and all environmental factors are governed by photons of determinable wavelength and by interatoic interactions with calculable forces and momenta.

Scientists in every field use the concept of "randomness" to avoid calculating all of these factors (which, of course, is practically impossible) when the factors can be simply replaced by statistics. When such statistics are accepted, results will traditionally vary from expected results due to "randomness" or the "standard deviation."


So, if randomness is not truly random and can be explained by physical forces, then is everything in the world predestined?


Most people will be inclinded to say "no." But why not? You like to think that you are in control of your life? Me too.

But everything in my life can be explained by a physical force. Everything can be predicted by a very advanced science whose surface has yet to be skimmed. So yes, I am in control of my life, but electrons and photons are in control of me.

Then who am I?

Am I a creation of God or a product of evolution? Or both?

If I am not a creation of God, then the world is controlled by physical principles and not by independent thinking. If you are not a creation of God, then you are merely an amalgamation of subatomic particles which work together to do things... not only are you not in control, but "you" do not even exist. Your mind is just a collection of neurons that is only different from other minds becuse of slight differences in the neurons. You are nothing more than particles that do not differentiate you from anybody else. And these particles will interact in the same way with their surroundings no matter what you decide - because they control your "decisions."

If I am a creation of God, then He provided me with a soul that cannot be explained by physical means. I can make decisions because He gave me free will and I can control my fate.

Why? I don't know. I don't really care. All that matters is that if I am a creation of God, then I am in control of my life. If I am a creation of God, then I can make decisions. I can control my neural impulses because I exist as more than just a product of these impulses.

So is the concept of randomness truly nonexistent? Does everything in the world occur with a precise plan?

Or do we have some control?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you look at things subatomically, obviously there are only a few particles. However, it is the interaction of the particles, atoms, molecules, macromolecules, etc. etc. that makes sure there is no "predestination." Example: Over 70 trillion possible combinations of zygotes based solely on chromosome number. Although we all come down to electrons, quarks, etc., all of our proteins and other molecules are different, sometimes vastly different. In other words, you claim "Your mind is just a collection of neurons that is only different from other minds becuse of slight differences in the neurons." That's crap. What about people with diseases (ex myasthenia gravis)? What about healthy people who later go on to have diseases as they age? Are their neurons like your neurons? God and physical forces are not the key, environmental and genetic interactions are the key.

Edwin said...

The question whether everything is fate or whether everything is choice is something that has haunted me for a very long time.

I don't know the answer, but I like to believe it is choice that is more predominant. Entities with more choices can make the life of another entity with lesser number choices look like it is fate.

As you may well know, there are proven facts in modern science that tell us that universe is not deterministic. And so, randomness is inherently present. Check this out