Thursday, January 26, 2006

10. Writer's Block

What do you do when you have writer's block? I'm in the mood to write (I'm sitting in class and, therefore, I have nothing better to do) but I can think of absolutely nothing to write about. I have plenty of opinions, but none that you care about. I mean, what could it mean to you if Punjabi groundsmen seem to be preparing horribly draw-oriented batsmen's pitches in their cricket stadiums? Why would you care if I just finished taking a final exam that I postponed because I was going to Pakistan?

And there are plenty of things that readers care about, but I really don't want to write about them. If I poured out my opinions on P.Diddy & Jennifer or Nick & Jessica or Ben & Jennifer or Brad & Jennifer or Brad & Angelina or Tom & Angelina or Tom & Katie or Aishwariya & the guy from Masti or whoever the hot new couple is in Hollywood or Bollywood (forgive me if one of the couples I mentioned is broken up by now), then I'm sure I'd have plenty of readers. And readers would leave comments like "yeah... Nick and Angelina would make such a cute couple!!!! Nick's so hot!!!! I wish I was Jessica!!!! heehee giggle giggle!!!! I don't have the capacity to challenge myself in my own life, so I like to worry about other people's lives!!!!"

I apologize to whoever is currently reading this for killing a couple of your brain cells.

3 comments:

Manu said...

Apology not accepted. You should have warned me that this post would kill my brain cells. And it killed more that a couple

Anonymous said...

there are so many well-frequented blogs about topics having nothing to do with "P.Diddy & Jennifer or Nick & Jessica or Ben & Jennifer or Brad & Jennifer or Brad & Angelina." i think it's a copout to blame any lack of readership on the viewers of a website. you can find blog entries with hundreds of posts about subjects that don't have mass media appeal discussing subjects like drug patents, favorite ways of geeking out MS Excel, the devaluation of music, premium dry cat foods, etc, etc. as for ideas like "Punjabi groundsmen seem to be preparing horribly draw-oriented batsmen's pitches in their cricket stadiums," yes, this is probably not a great topic for discussion because few general readers have any clue what you're talking about. however, unless this is all you think about, there are too many interesting things going on in the world to claim "writer's block"...given that you can write about them creatively and make a connection with a reader. surely you must have some interest in technology, education, history, food, science, business, etc (even movies or music) to come up with something original. but once you get readers you have to keep them, which generally requires devoting a lot of time to the blog.

Anonymous said...

Brad and Tom might be a cute couple. They definitely had some chemistry in that vampire movie.

Nice seeing you the other day, in the library. Hope your semester's going well.