Monday, January 09, 2006

8. Trust

I generally attempt to be laid back and accept the world as it is. However, there are a few things that bother me to the extent that I am probably developing a brain tumor just by thinking about it. I don't have many of these pet-peeves, but here is all that I can think of:

1. Lies
2. People accusing me of lying
3. Murder
4. Stubbornness

As an honest man, I would like to advocate a provision that requires a form of lie detector to be affixed to everybody. This would easily solve many of the problems aforementioned. Although I have occasionally done something to lose an element of trustworthiness, I would be delighted if I had hard evidence to prove every correct statement I made.

I fail to understand why people must accuse me of lying, especially about subjects where I have nothing to gain from lying. So, I would like to hereby formulate this new philosophy:

Choose to either trust a person or to not trust a person, and be very selective about who you trust. If you trust a person:
1. Believe everything they say, and:
2. Expect from them what they expect from themselves; applaud them when you get more, chastise them when you get less.

If you do not trust a person:
1. Believe only what is believable, but:
2. Expect nothing from them; applaud them when you get more and chastise them only if they hurt you.


By following these simple guidelines, a person will be affected much less adversely by the actions of others.

Post comments to this blog if you disagree or if you have suggestions; trust and truth are topics that I love to hear others' opinions about.

No comments: